Thursday, November 4, 2010

Follow-up Report: Smoked Brook Trout

In a previous blog post, Eastern Invaders, I alluded to a future attempt at smoking brook trout. Well, before a recent hunting trip, I decided that it would be nice to have some gourmet hors d'oeuvres while hanging out in the wall tent. So I got motivated and soaked a bunch of the little buggers in a simple brine mix of salt, sugar, and water. I dragged my Bradley smoker out of the garage, neatly arranged the fish on the racks, and fired it up. After several hours the fish hit an internal temperature of 140 degrees, and I pulled them out. The results were flavorful and fantastic. After pairing the end product with cream cheese and triscuits, it was rapidly devoured in camp. I, unfortunately, am now out of stock and I am not sure if I will get back out to resupply.

2 comments:

  1. Cool. Did you smoke typical 6 to 8 inchers? I smoke up a few big meaty whitefish most years, but never tried smaller fish or brookies. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am brining a batch of 10" brookies to smoke tomorrow.Will post my results at first try.

    ReplyDelete